VoIP cloud services: Why it's much more than just making calls
Although cloud communication services have been around for a few years, it’s only now that companies are really warming up to the concept of cloud capabilities. Over 40% of companies are making the shift to cloud services in Australia and the impetus hasn’t been stronger than the global health crisis we’re experiencing.
Regarding VoIP cloud services, however, the story is a little different. Many people I speak to are under the impression that it’s just another tech solution that allows businesses to make international calls (When it’s only just one of the many things it can do).
Some even ask me why we need VoIP, given the availability of other free cloud solutions that provide similar services. In this post, I’m hoping to show these naysayers what they’re missing out on :)
Cloud VoIP solutions are heavyweights in the telecom industry
To begin with, when compared to a traditional PSTN landline, VoIP cloud services come out on top without even trying.
- In terms of hardware requirements, VoIP cloud services only include VoIP endpoints and a router, which contrasts with the need for copper lines, multiple phones, and a PBX for traditional PSTN phone systems.
- When using VoIP cloud services, scalability is as easy as clicking a button on the control panel. With a traditional PSTN, you need to purchase new licenses, lines, and phones from a telecommunication service provider.
- VoIP cloud services can host smoother long-distance calls without the added cost and enjoy secure faxing services and easy remote call forwarding.
- In contrast with the hardware-based call routing on PSTN systems, VoIP cloud services include call routing along with an auto-attendant, and in some cases IVRs with advanced routing features.
- The sound quality of PSTN is limited to voice band audio in an analogue format. This can result in fluctuating sound fidelity (i.e. the quality of sound). In VoIP, sound quality is only affected by the internet connection, making high sound fidelity easier to maintain.
VoIP powers team collaboration and CRM integration
VoIP cloud services include collaboration tools that allow coworkers to share files via screen sharing, along with audio and video conferencing. This increases the efficiency of business teams, especially those working remotely.
One of the more advanced features of VoIP cloud services is CRM integration, allowing businesses to consolidate everything onto a single user interface. You can use it to manage and communicate with customers, analyse real-time data, collect feedback, sync calendars, and move important projects forward.
These integrations support your business communication workflow and make it a single source of truth that increases team and employee efficiency.
VoIP services are reliable and resilient
Unlike traditional PSTN or on-premise solutions, VoIP cloud services remain functional even during emergencies. Whether you’re experiencing natural disasters, cyberattacks, or technical difficulties, your communication channels remain uninterrupted.
Most reputable VoIP cloud service providers facilitate 99.999% uptime, so you can stay connected with your customers and team regardless of any emergency. This built-in capability also allows your services to remain online while maintaining a backup that you can use.
You can transition to VoIP with your existing phone system
Another pro—VoIP cloud services can be integrated with any legacy system without too much hassle.
For any company that’s keen on enjoying cloud services, but doesn’t want to disrupt their existing system, they can still integrate VoIP cloud solutions into their systems.
If your legacy system supports SIP trunks/VoIP, you don’t even need to buy additional hardware! VoIP cloud services can create an interface with existing infrastructure, giving you more flexibility on how you route your calls.
You can also configure it to allow users on both systems to call each other and for any users of legacy PBX to communicate via cheaper VoIP routes.
Integrate VoIP cloud services for more powerful communication and collaboration
Integrating or transitioning your business communication to a VoIP system is one of the best decisions you can make. Given the range of benefits they add to your operations, team, and customers, the choice is more about which VoIP provider is best suited for your business :)
Switch to the cloud and enjoy uninterrupted communication services today.